Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Friendly Village


I inherited this set of dishes from my mother-in-law, who had them passed onto her from another family member. It is service for 12 with many of the extra finishing pieces. It is made in England by Johnson Brothers and it is called the Friendly Village. I know very little about good china so I looked it up on-line and found out that the dishes are worth upwards of $300. Considering I have never spent more than $60.00 on my dishes (and that was service for 12 also), I was shocked to find out how much they cost. I do actually have a nice set of China that was given to me at my bridal shower many, many years ago by my grandmother that is expensive also but I didn't buy them, she did. They are Mikasa, plain white with a brown rim...my taste at the time. I've only used them several times in my life, what a waste. I have decided to get rid of my cheap dishes and start using all my beautiful expensive ones and enjoy them.

2 comments:

  1. good idea Nancy! And , you know I love those dishes too! Cool to see the multiple colors in transferware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my passions is dishes. Although none of mine are expensive I have several different sets and love each and every one. I received one of those forwarded emails once with the message that one should not keep things to use sometime in the future but to use them now. Life is fleeting. I totally agree. Enjoy your dishes today!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin