Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Barbie


I am a collector. Of what? Several different things. My husband says too many different things. Like collector plates, Precious Moments figurines, Jan Hagara figurines, Christmas Village houses and dolls. I love dolls, but strangely enough, I didn't like dolls all that much as a child. I played more with plastic cowboys and indians figures, or plastic army men. I guess that is because most of my playmates were boys. I had boy cousins close to my age, and neighborhood boys close to my age, so I guess I adapted. I was surrounded by boys. I appreciated that fact more when I entered the pre-teen and teenage years. Anyway, after I was married and started having children I became obsessed with Barbie dolls. Supposedly, I was buying them to save for my daughters. Instead over the years they became mine. Every year my husband would buy me at least one for Christmas (along with a Precious Moment). I did start Barbie collections for both of my daughters, who never really cared one way or the other about them. (My younger daughter actually pawned hers). The dolls in the cabinet are only about half of my collection. The rest are still in their original boxes(only because I didn't have anywhere to display them). I actually sold about a dozen still in boxes at a yard sale not that long ago. We are downsizing into a smaller house soon so some had to go.

In the center towards the back is Romeo and Juliet, and also Frank Sinatra and Barbie the bobbysoxer.

Center and in the back is Elvis and his fan. Unfortunately you can't see his head but you can see his guitar. The Barbie fan is wearing the traditional poodle skirt and pink sweater.
I have already bought my 3 year old granddaughter a collectible Barbie. Do you think I have a problem?

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a problem? Nope - I don't think so. I've had my share of collections over the years - Precious Moments being one of them. I haven't bought or received any as gifts in the last few years but I still love them. Last weekend we were near Carthage, MO and I thought of stopping at the Chapel but I was just too tired from our time in Branson. Maybe I'll do that sometime this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oklahoma Granny, I love my Precious Moments but haven't gotten any new for the past few years either, except for the one figurine that they send you when you belong to the club. I've been a member since the early '80's. I would love to see the Chapel. If you go you will have to blog about it and post pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin